To see more images of the barn, click on the right hand side of the image above.
Wrostler’s Barn is a beautiful off-grid camping barn in secluded woodland, close to Coniston Water on the quieter east side of the Lake. A fantastic eco-holiday that’s remote and secluded but just a one minute walk through the woods to the lake, car park and road. The barn can be yours for mid-week, long weekend and full week breaks most of the year round. The barn sleeps a maximum of 12 people.
Check our calendar for availability.
Originally a stone field barn from c.1800, Wrostlers Barn is now a wonderful off-grid, eco retreat. Surrounded by farmland, SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) woodland and a protected wildlife area, and is the perfect countryside escape. The barn roof is a rare surviving example of an early Lakeland practice of cutting the slates so that they intersect, locally known as “wrestler” or “wrostler” slates, which evoke the Cumbrian wrestler’s embrace.
What there is:
- Three level converted barn with kitchen, dining and two separate sleeping spaces
- Mattresses for up to 12 people
- Composting toilets with simple instructions
- Five-ring gas hob with gas provided
- LED solar lighting
- A good selection of kitchen cooking equipment
- Cutlery and crockery for 12 people
- Preparation table and picnic benches
- Wood burning stove with initial wood supply (more can be purchased)
- Cold water tap plus hot water when the wood-burner is lit
- Parking space for up to four cars within close proximity
- Steel barbecue
- Small campfires within fire site (wood supply provided)
The barn stands within the fringe of the nationally important Dodgson Wood SSSi and for this reason no wood can be collected on the site. It is being run on a sustainable format with the use of locally coppiced wood, composting toilets and a strict recycling policy.
- Arrivals are from 3pm, departures before 11am
- Keys should be collected/deposited in the key safe (this info will be sent to you before your arrival)
- Dogs are allowed by agreement, but owners are asked to keep them under close control.
Friday to Friday (7 nights) £400
Monday to Friday (4 nights) £300
Friday to Monday (3 nights) £250
£100 deposit is required with every booking
All charges are VAT inclusive
To check availability or to make a booking enquiry, please see the booking page.
Wrostler’s Barn SD300, 926